Sunday, July 28, 2013

What does Revelation say about Jesus?

In the ancient classical style, the Book of the Revelation begins with an introduction that is a summary of what it will tell you. Revelation chapter one is a thesis of what the book is about. What does it say about Jesus?

"When I saw him I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said, "Do not be afraid, I am the First and the Last. I am the living one, I was dead and now look I am alive forever and ever. and I hold the keys of death and Hades." Revelation 1:18-19.

THE FIRST AND THE LAST
This echoes the declaration of God as the Alpha and the Omega in verse eight, "I am the Alpha and the Omega says the Lord. Who is and who was and who is to come the Almighty." That means one of the opening statements and the thesis of Revelation is that Jesus is acknowledged and worshiped as God in heaven.

Alpha is the first letter and omega is the last letter of the ancient Greek alphabet. It is clear he is saying he is the beginning, end, and purpose of all things.

WHY IS JESUS THE FIRST AND LAST
The Lord has given part of the answer now and no doubt eternity will reveal more. Revelation shows Jesus as the lamb freshly slain. (Revelation 5:6). This recalls the word of John the Baptist, when he indicated Jesus and said, "Behold the lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world." (John 1:29).

LAMB
The lamb was sacrificed to be a substitution for sins so that judgment would be passed over as if the lamb took the punishment. It was a living picture of God's plan for salvation that he would send his substitution, his son, to bear our sin and take our punishment. It was always His plan since before the beginning of time. This living picture pointed to Jesus the one who bore our sins.

THE BIG QUESTION
Volumes have been written about these questions but we each must answer for ourselves who to me is the man who hung on the cross for my sins? Is he no one, or is he my Savior whose promise I accept and receive eternal life?

To learn more about finding salvation click on the tab above titled "The Gospel."

 (c) Adron Dozat